The Parish of St. Paul, Oldham

How to arrange a Wedding Service

On this page, you can find out how to organise a Wedding at St. Paul's Church, Hathershaw, Oldham. We hope that you will find what follows useful, and that it will enable us to work together in planning a special celebration of your relationship on your Wedding Day.

You need to be aware at this point that getting married in church has a legal as well as a religious dimension.

Can we get married at St. Paul's Church?

The law is quite clear about which categories of people can get married in a particular church. The good news is that it has recently been changed to give you more choice about which church you can get married in.

You can find out whether the law allows you to get married at St. Paul's on the Are we eligible? tab above.

How much will it cost?

The 2019 fees for a wedding are set nationally by the Church of England.

Please be aware that Banns of Marriage may have to be called in other churches as well - in which case a Certificate will be required.

Compulsary Fees:
Publication of Banns of Marriage £31.00
Banns of Marriage Certificate (if called in another church) £31.00
Marriage Service (includes verger) £506.00
Optional Fees:
Organist Fee £60.00 (optional)
Additional Fee if the service is filmed £25.00
Set of two sheet service sheets (variable)

Please note:

  • If you would prefer to print your own service sheets, digital versions can be provided, and you can have them printed yourselves.
  • A deposit of £50 is required to secure a booking.

What dates are available?

There are Saturday bookings already made for the church. These dates and times are definitely not available for weddings this year. There will also be other times that are not available (usually during school holidays). We try and keep this information as up to date as possible:

What do we need to do?

In the first instance, if you are both UK citizens or EEA nationals (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland), you would need to complete a Banns Form, and pay a £50 deposit to book the date.

You also need to complete extra forms if (a) either of you has previously been married; or (b) if you want to get married on the basis of your "connection" with the parish, rather than because you currently live in it. or (c) if either of you is a foreign national, a separate process is involved and you may well be asked to complete a "Superintendent Registrar's Certificate.".


The next question is:

What about the service itself?

(Click the button to go to the next page)