The Parish of St. Paul, Oldham
Proposed Mission Action Plan
You could think of these as our "Aims & Objectives" or as our Priorites for Mission and Action.
- things we have done to complete this aim
- things we plan to do to complete this aim [the person / group responsible]
To support people in growing into more engaged worship of Almighty God.
ENGAGE CHILDREN & YOUNG PEOPLE
- continue to encourage young people to join the choir
- purchase 4 new servers' robes as and when required [NICK, COLIN, JILL]
- make the draw-string bags available for use in pews, with resources, kept on hooks, given out by Sidespeople and returned to hooks afterwards. Ensure that they are Covid-safe, while required. [ANDREA, SIDESPEOPLE]
- develop the midweek service, drawing on insights from Zoom Sunday School [NICK, CATH, GINA]
- discern a way forward for Sunday School, post-pandemic, drawing on insights from Zoom Sunday School [GINA & LEADERS]
RESTORE THE ORGAN, AND APPOINT AN ORGANIST TO SUPPORT THE CHOIR'S GROWTH
- Barnes & Barnes to re-quote
- Make Heritage Lottery Fund application [NICK]
- Make Viridor Application, if required [NICK]
PROVIDE SERVICES AND MUSIC THAT MATCH THE DIVERSITY OF THE CONGREGATION (IN AGE, BACKGROUND, ETC) WITH A DIVERSITY OF STYLES OF MUSIC, A DIVERSITY OF PRESENTATION (INCLUDING THE USE OF SCREENS TO ENRICH WORSHIP) AND DIVERSE TIMES AND TYPES OF SERVICE
develop a new, post-pandemic pattern of services, across the two parishes. The proposal would be to have a traditional service of Holy Communion, alternating with a more multi-media Morning Prayer, once singing is permitted, and the choir has had time to re-establish itself, and then re-evaluate:
- Holy Communion / Morning Prayer in each church on the same day (except for the fifth Sunday)
- As before, combining the best of traditional with the best of modern music
- Support the choir in resourcing any new pattern, in new ways as well as old
- Train congregation members up to support the delivery where these services require use of technology [NICK, CATH]
- Continue to offer online services [NICK, CATH]
- Encourage the children, and other new readers, to read and lead intercessions in services in church as well as online
SET UP A "WELCOME" TASK GROUP
- Put together a list of sidespersons' duties [AURIEL, (NICK)]
REVIEW CHURCH SOCIAL EVENTS
- recruit more members of the Social Committee
- encourage individuals to run one-off events
- develop a new post-pandemic series of Social events, catering to the diversity of the congregation, by consulting them [SOCIAL COMMITTEE]
To make greater use of our visible and invisible assets in the service of our neighbour.
ESTABLISH A NEW BUDGET PATTERN, POST-PANDEMIC, WITHOUT THE SHOP, THAT ENABLES US TO PAY PARISH SHARE, AND DEVELOP THE BUILDING.
- (see title) [PCC, GIFT AID SECRETARY]
- discuss at a PCC meeting
DEVELOP NEW FINANCIAL SYSTEMS.
- (see title) [PCC, GIFT AID SECRETARY]
- review after 12 months
HELP NEW, AND NEWER PEOPLE INTO MORE ACTIVE ROLES AND MINISTRIES IN CHURCH
- run a group to train and support interceders [CATH]
- money counters [LYNNE]
- ALMs [AURIEL]
- encourage new PCC members to stand for election 2021, 2022 [PCC]
- . . . and support them in their roles [PCC]
IMPROVE OUR PUBLICITY
- Develop a monthly newsletter, potentially to replace the service sheets and parish magazine.
INCREASE THE USE OF THE COMMUNITY ROOM BY AND FOR THE LOCAL COMMUNITY
- Find new external users
- Develop new church-led activities
IMPROVE AND DEVELOP OUR CHURCH BUILDING, GROUNDS, AND ASSETS
- Remove the piano to provide space for the TV, and so allow space in Chancel for the lectern, as well as 2 service leaders
- Develop a rota for church cleaning; organise annual spring cleaning day. [AURIEL]
- Repair the Chancel ceiling
- Complete the work on the fencing. [NICK]
- Develop and implement a plan for the flower beds around the Broadway St. Steps. [GARDENS WORK GROUP]
- Develop the area behind the church as a place for plants, growing, and ecodiversity. [GARDENS WORK GROUP]
- Order new bins, and have control of them. [NICK]
- Restore the Organ, and develop a servicing regime [NICK]
- Resolve source of water ingress at Chancel Arch
- Establish whether we need to re-roof the Church [NICK, CATH]
- (Possible) Purchase new microphones (grant application required)
- (Possible) Purchase digital piano (grant application required)
- Ask the congregation to complete Millstone or Springboard? as a way of discerning the parameters for any internal alterations.
See Quinquennial Tasks, below
To strive to safeguard the integrity of creation and sustain and renew the life of the earth:
- Put LED lighting in Vicar's Vestry
- Put LED lighting in Flower Cupboard, Choir Vestry, and corridor
- Put LED Vestry in the Community Room
- Install equipment to better control and monitor the heating in church and community room by means of an app, reducing energy use.
- Continue to encourage recycling through the internal and external bins.
- to increase the biodiversity of the church grounds;
- to make the church grounds a more positive, sensory experience: colours, smells and textures (but nothing toxic);
- to enable the church grounds, by their nature, to communicate a vibrant, dynamic, growing church
- to engage congregation members, community members, and local families in growing and caring for the earth - whether in the church grounds or at home;
- to promote healthy eating and wellbeing;
- to explore the creation of very different kinds of spaces in the church grounds;
- to use the compost to enrich the soil.
- fence in the paved area to create a space that can be used by church and community groups; and to reduce anti-social behaviour in the church grounds. [NICK]
- enhance our offering of the front of the church as a community garden by developing the beds at the bottom of fire-escape steps, and the steps and beds on the way down to Broadway Street. [NICK, GARDEN WORK GROUP]
- set up a Garden Working Group to progress improvements to the church grounds
Specific improvements planned:
- plant bushes and other plants along the new fencing when it is installed. [GARDEN WORK GROUP]
- plant low-lying plants around the Broadway St. steps. [GARDEN WORK GROUP]
- remove one or two trees that are too big for the spaces they occupy. [GARDEN WORK GROUP]
- create a bed where the oil tank used to be, at the top of the cellar steps. [GARDEN WORK GROUP]
WORSHIP & TEACHING (Gold)
- consolidate the new eco-liturgy
- integrate eco-issues into talks, music, and prayers
COMMUNITY & GLOBAL (Bronze)
- organise/host a community litter pick
- invite a speaker from Northern Roots to talk about their work.
- another picnic in Alexandra Park
- another walk for members of both churches
- continue to offer a vegan or vegetarian option at social events
- start composting, and using food waste
To develop effective working relationships with partners in Mission and Ministry:
- St. Thomas, Werneth
MISSION UNIT / MISSION COMMUNITY
- St. Thomas, Werneth
- Holy Trinity, Coldhurst;
- St. Stephen and All Martyrs, Oldham;
- St. Mary with St. Peter, Oldham.
- Holy Trinity Bardsley, & Woodhouses
- St. John, Failsworth
- Christ Church, Chadderton
- Work towards establishing the new working relationships and patterns of the proposed Mission Community
- St. Martin’s CE Primary School
- and others;
- Recruit two governors for St. Martin's (not necessarily from the congregation)
COMMUNITY GROUPS AND INDIVIDUALS
- Explore setting up a women's group across the two parishes [CATH]
- Explore setting up English Classes, possibly with Congregation members as volunteers [NICK, CATH]
- Kimbilio - through occasional events around visits from staff
- The Children's Society - with a collection during Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany
- Lifeshare - with Harvest Donations
- Oldham Foodbank - with Harvest Donations
- UNICEF - with an appeal during Lent with Jar of Grace
- Christian Aid - with an appeal, and a hunger lunch, during Christian Aid Week
To complete tasks in the Quinquennial Inspection Report:
- Re-engage the fabric group to work through some of the tasks below.
ITEMS OF UTMOST URGENCY
- Remove vegetation from north aisle roof, guttering and gullies at least once per year. (B4.5, B5) (2021 — 2022 — 2023 — 2024)
- Clear heating chamber and install pest control measures. (C9). Allow £250.
WORK ON OR ABOVE COMMUNITY ROOM
- Investigate cause of the deflection of the floor finish within the westend community rooms. (C1.3)* Allow £500.
- Consider providing sound attenuation to the modern plasterboard walls that form the westend community rooms. (C2.5)*
- Employ carpenter to improve fixing of pew frontals. (C5.1)
- Carry out timber repairs to the kitchen door. (B3.2) Allow £200.
FLOORING AND FALLS
- Consider raising the level of the aisles within the worship area to coordinate with the level of the west end community facilities and thus remove the need for ramps. The removal of pews within the worship as part of this work would then provide a very flexible space for worship and other purposes. (C1.1)*
WORK ON EAST END STEPS
- Re-level uneven ground and repair / remove cracked screed to the north churchyard. (B7.1)* Allow £2,000.
- Decorate east and west boundary walls, cast iron rainwater goods and north aisle door. (B7.3) Allow £2,000.
- Repair or infill wall adjacent to the east boundary stair. (B7.3)* Allow £2,500.
- Consider fencing in the north churchyard area. (B10)*
- Repair / renew and decorate plaster above the chancel arch and within the chancel. (C2.2, C2.3)* Allow £5,000.
- Carry out plaster ceiling repairs within the church building generally (C3)*
ROOFING AND RAINWATER
- Re-roof slate roofs to the south aisle and south nave roof slope. Renew rainwater goods as part of this work. (B4.3, B4.4)* Allow approximately £150,000.
- Plan to re-roof all areas of the church building within the next 10 to 20 years. (B4)*
- Consider undertaking a planned programme of masonry repointing works using lime mortar to areas of cement pointing. Reopening blocked subfloor ventilation slots to aisle walls as part of this work.(B2)*
- Remove or renew defective light fitting and brackets to north aisle, organ chamber and vestry. (B2.2, B2.4, B2.8)
- Consider renewing polycarbonate window protection to the chancel east window with a perimeter air gap. (B3.1)
- Replace missing quarry tile to choir / vestry threshold. (C1.2)
- Decorate ceiling to the church entrance lobby. (C3.4.1)
- that a church should be a place where the generous, forgiving love of God in Christ is made real in practical ways.
- that a church should be a community that welcomes all people whatever their age, situation, or background.
- that a church should dedicate itself to the worship of Almighty God, using all the richness and variety of resources that God has given us.
- that we are not there yet - but by the grace of God, this is what we hope to become.
- that a church should work, alone and with others, for good in its community, and in the world: for justice, for a better quality of life, for stronger communities.
- that a church is not just a virtual community, but a real, physical community. We hope that this website will enrich our life as a church, and offer you ways to take part in it - or just provide you with resources to help you deepen your faith.